BIO has granted USD 17,855 of technical assistance to Banco Solidario, an Ecuadorian microfinance institution.
Type of investment
Banco Solidario started its activities in 1996 with a social mission which focuses on the microfinance segment and vulnerable populations.
BS is one of the leading microfinance players in Ecuador: 47% of its total portfolio is directly lent to microenterprises for productive purposes, making BS the second-biggest microloans provider in the country (98,000 microloans outstanding with an average loan amount of 2,873 USD). The rest of the portfolio (53%) is invested in other inclusive loan products targeting low-income populations.
The technical assistance is aimed at measuring and benchmarking Banco Solidario’s gender equality practices through an EDGE radiography of the institution
- Culture, pay equity, infrastructure and representation are looked at with a gender lens
- Increased inclusiveness of the culture
- Pave the way for equitable career flows
- Improved ability to attract, develop, motivate, and retain a larger and deeper pool of talents: formal, paid employment is more attractive for women to join and stay
- Better income distribution between women and men
- Redefined gender roles at work and better role models for future generations which can influence gender roles at home
- Enhanced brand reputation and employer value proposition
View more of our investments in this region
Cambodia, Nicaragua, Peru, Côte d'Ivoire, Kenya