SDG Frontier Fund
The SDG Frontier Fund is a self-managed fund-of-funds that seeks to co-invest with BIO in private equity funds in Asia and Africa.
The SDG Frontier Fund, set up at the initiative of BIO in March 2020, reached a total fund size of EUR 36 million, thanks to the participation of fourteen Belgian institutional and private investors, including BIO.
The fund aims to support sustainable economic growth in African and Asian frontier markets and offers an attractive financial return.
- SDG Frontier Fund aims to invest in 10 to 12 private equity funds and will only invest in funds in which BIO has invested.
- Middle and back-office services provided by BIO.
Impact and assessment of sustainable development goals will be equally important as financial targets.
- Risks are mitigated by the Fund of Funds structure offering a wide diversification around 100 SMEs spread over different sectors and countries.
- Co-investments with BIO.
In its first closing the SDG Frontier Fund has partnered with nine institutional and private investors, including AG Insurance, Belfius Insurance, King Baudouin Foundation, Volksvermogen, vdk bank, several family offices, and BIO.
- SDG Frontier Fund final closing, Press Release, 29 April 2022
- Groener Geld, MT Magazine, August 2021
- Repousser les frontières des investissements durables, L'Eventail, 10 December 2020
- 25.3 million euros investments for Africa and Asia, Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs, 14 July 2020
- Belgian private investors participate in The SDG Frontier Fund first closing of US$28m, Africa INC. Magazine, 7 July 2020
- Belgian impact fund hits first close bringing together nine private investors, Africa Global Funds, 7 July 2020
- PME: Le SDG Frontier Fund cherche à investir, Libre Entreprise, 2 July 2020
- SDG Frontier Fund haalt 25 miljoen op voor investeringen in ontwikkelingslanden, Kanaal Z - Knack, 2 July 2020
- Le Fonds Frontière ODD lève 25 millions pour les pays en développement, Canal Z - Le Vif, 2 July 2020
- You'll never make the world sustainable with only public money, Trends, 2 July 2020
- SDG Frontier Fund first closing, Press Release, 2 July 2020
Sustainable Development Goals
The SDGs are a call for action by all countries – poor, rich and middle-income – to promote prosperity while protecting the planet. They recognize that ending poverty must go hand-in-hand with strategies that build economic growth and address a range of social needs including education, health, social protection, and job opportunities, while tackling climate change and environmental protection.
Sustainability Related Product Disclosure
This statement is published by the SDG Frontier Fund (the “Fund”), a self-managed fund co-investing with the Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries NV (“BIO”), the Belgian Development Finance Institution, in private equity funds active in Africa and Asia, in accordance with Article 10 of Regulation (EU) 2019/2088 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 November 2019 on sustainability-related disclosures in the financial services sector (“SFDR”).