SDG Frontier Fund
The goal of the SDG Frontier Fund is to generate an attractive financial return combined with a high development impact.
On 10th March 2020, the first closing of the SDG Frontier Fund took place at €25.3M thanks to the participation of nine Belgian private and institutional investors together with BIO.
The SDG Frontier Fund targets to reach €50M and looks forward to welcoming new private investors in its subsequent closings.
- A closed-ended self-managed private equity fund of funds (FoF), focusing on SME’s across sectors in frontier markets of Africa and Asia to promote job creation and sustainable economic growth.
- SDG Frontier Fund aims to invest in 5 to 12 private equity funds and will only invest in funds in which BIO has invested.
- Middle and back-office services provided by BIO.
Impact and assessment of sustainable development goals will be equally important as financial targets.
- Risks are mitigated by the Fund of Funds structure offering a wide diversification over 50 to 180 SMEs spread over different sectors and countries.
- Co-investments with BIO
Many SMEs in Africa and Asia will be in need for capital after the crisis. This will more than ever unlock opportunities to make long-term investments with appealing longterm returns and unprecedented development impact. SDGFF will exclusively invest in selected funds that are in their startup phase, with the means to invest in quality companies in need of funding.
- SDG Frontier Fund first closing, Press Release, 2 July 2020
- You'll never make the world sustainable with only public money, Trends, 2 July 2020
- Le Fonds Frontière ODD lève 25 millions pour les pays en développement, Canal Z - Le Vif, 2 July 2020
- SDG Frontier Fund haalt 25 miljoen op voor investeringen in ontwikkelingslanden, Kanaal Z - Knack, 2 July 2020
- PME: Le SDG Frontier Fund cherche à investir, Libre Entreprise, 2 July 2020
- Belgian impact fund hits first close bringing together nine private investors, Africa Global Funds, 7 July 2020
- Belgian private investors participate in The SDG Frontier Fund first closing of US$28m, Africa INC. Magazine, 7 July 2020
- 25.3 million euros investments for Africa and Asia, Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs, 14 July 2020
Sustainable Development Goals
The SDGs are a call for action by all countries – poor, rich and middle-income – to promote prosperity while protecting the planet. They recognize that ending poverty must go hand-in-hand with strategies that build economic growth and address a range of social needs including education, health, social protection, and job opportunities, while tackling climate change and environmental protection.