Senior Legal Counsel
The Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (“BIO”) is a development finance institution controlled by the Belgian government that seeks to support the private sector in developing countries by investing in local enterprises, either directly or indirectly (e.g. through financial institutions or investment funds).
Contact Annick Hellemans via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call confidentially on +32 (0) 476 42 11 31. Please clearly indicate the reference number VL/LAW/3732/23.
BIO is looking for a Senior Legal Counsel with experience in funds and/or private equity dossiers. Fluent in English and Dutch, with a good command of French.
You will be the Legal Investments Team’s expert in charge of direct equity and indirect/fund investments in clients in any of the developing countries in which BIO is active and report to the Manager Legal.
You will provide legal support in all stages of an equity investment, from the initial structuring phase until the monitoring phase post signing/closing. You will be part of the internal deal team and will also have extensive contacts with a variety of external parties, including external counsel, investees and co-investors. More in particular you will:
- provide legal advice on the structuring of the transaction;
- handle legal aspects of the due diligence;
- set out the legal aspects and risks during the internal approval process;
- draft and review transaction documents (term sheets, subscription agreements, shareholders’ agreements, limited partnership agreements, side letters, etc.);
- participate in negotiations; and
- manage the client-counsel relationship if an external counsel is involved.
You will contribute to the team’s knowledge management relevant for equity investments. This includes:
- the development of internal tools, templates and databases; and
- organizing internal trainings in order to strengthen your colleagues legal knowledge.
You will participate in ad hoc team or transversal projects or according to interest.
- Master’s degree in Law.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience (either in a law firm or in-house) in the areas of M&A, private equity investments and funds. Knowledge or outspoken interest in fund transactions is a plus.
- Able to work autonomously, good organizational skills and an eye for detail.
- Ability to take the initiative, learn quickly and not afraid of challenges or to operate in an evolving and complex environment.
- Strong team player, who enjoys working together with the investment colleagues and sharing knowledge.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills (spoken and written).
- Fluent in English and Dutch, and working knowledge in French.
- Proactive, pragmatic and solution oriented while adequately managing legal risks.
- Enthusiastic about working in an international environment and thinking ‘out of the box’ in complex or unfamiliar circumstances.
BIO offers a rich professional experience, with motivated colleagues, an attractive package and a good work-life balance. At 5 minutes from the Brussels Central train station and right next to a metro station, BIO is only 40 minutes away from large cities like Antwerp or Ghent.