Senior Investment Officer Enterprise
The Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (“BIO”) is a development finance institution controlled by the Belgian government that seeks to support the private sector in developing countries by investing in local enterprises, either directly or indirectly (e.g. through financial institutions or investment funds).
As Senior Investment Officer (IO) of the Enterprise Team, you will be responsible for sourcing, structuring, negotiating, and executing/closing new investment opportunities (loans, mezzanine or Equity) in companies (SME and Corporate) across the developing markets in which BIO operates and in line with BIO´s investment criteria. Also, you will represent BIO amongst our stakeholders and contribute to continuous improvement of the Enterprise Investment desk. When relevant, you will coach/mentor more junior IOs (including generalists, portfolio officers) in the execution of deals or on specific topics.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Screen investment opportunities to identify investments that are in line with BIO’s investment strategy (including on economic, financial, social & environmental, and impact parameters). This includes finding the right balance between complexity, size, impact, risk and return;
- Lead the investment through the entire investment cycle, including pre-approvals, on-site due diligence, preparing and presenting investment committee reports/investment notes, negotiating terms of investment, legal documentation, disbursement and handover to the portfolio team;
- Throughout the investment process, ensure strong collaboration with deal team members (E&S, Development, Legal, Portfolio officers) and stakeholders (Belgian Embassies, development organisations, NGOs, etc);
- Supervise equity transactions as PIO or Board Member.
- Establish and manage a base of prospects/clients through a deep understanding of the target countries, build relationships with entrepreneurs/SME ecosystem (such as third party marketers, like-minded investors), and carry out active prospection;
- Promote and reinforce BIO’s brand, collaborate and constantly improve relationships with local players, potential partners and stakeholders in the countries included in BIO’s investment mandate;
- Promote and reinforce BIO’s brand/collaboration within the development finance community and with development organisations such as Enabel, Belgian and European NGOs and/or foundations;
- Actively participate in relevant investment/networking conferences, as much as possible as a speaker or panellist;
- Responsible for pipeline generation for generalist IOs and more junior Enterprise IOs;
- When appropriate, coach and mentor more junior IOs (including generalists, portfolio officers) in the execution of deals or on specific topics;
- Develop internal skills and capacities within the team, including building and sharing knowledge on key areas of interest for the Enterprise team and BIO in general;
- Support and be the backup of the Enterprise Team’s Manager;
- Lead and/or be actively involved in internal or transversal topics to optimise/continuously improve the Enterprise team’s and BIO’s overall process, system, standards, policies.
- High level education in Business Administration, Economics or Finance;
- At least 7-10 years’ relevant work experience in corporate finance, corporate banking, an investment management company, audit company, or relevant business experience in a sector covered by the Enterprise department;
- Analytical mind, organised, precise and meticulous, results-oriented;
- Ability to take the initiative, learn quickly, and not afraid of challenges or to operate in an evolving and complex environment;
- Excellent networking, negotiating and communication skills (spoken and written);
- Strong team player;
- Fluency in English and French is a must, Dutch, Spanish and/or other languages of countries in which BIO operates is an asset;
- Strong interest in impact investing, development topics and developing markets – international investment experience in the region would be an asset;
- Excellent quality of investment assessments, structuring of notes, strategic and analytical reviews up to highest standards;
- Willingness to travel: ± 15% of time.
We offer a rich professional experience, with motivated colleagues, an attractive package and a good word-life balance.