Manager Private Equity
The Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (“BIO”) is a development finance institution controlled by the Belgian government that seeks to support the private sector in developing countries by investing in local enterprises, either directly or indirectly (e.g. through financial institutions or investment funds).
BIO is looking for a new Manager Private Equity.
This recruitment is handled exclusively by EBBINGE. Please send your questions and applications to the following address: Camille.Persoons@ebbinge.be
The Manager Private Equity ensures the coordination, management and supervision of the Private Equity team. The team handles all private equity transactions at BIO and monitors a large portfolio of private equity funds and several direct participations in financial institutions in developing countries (Africa, Asia, Latin America). As manager you have the responsibility to organize and support the team effectively for the execution of new projects and for the monitoring and reporting of the portfolio. You represent the team internally and towards BIO’s governance bodies, clients, and partners. You should also foster the development of skills and standards related to private equity investments.
This mission is carried out in coordination with the Chief Investment Officer with the objective to carry out the development mission of BIO while ensuring financial discipline as well as compliance with environmental, social and governance standards.
As manager you may also have, selectively, direct responsibility for some participations in BIO’s portfolio. You are expected to be available to travel in Africa, Latin America, and Asia when required.
Tasks and responsibilities:
The Manager Private Equity has 3 main responsibilities
- Team Management
- Manage: set objectives and monitor results, direct and conceptualise:
- Define a strategy at the team level with a definition of coherent individual and collective objectives;
- Plan and monitor the work. If necessary, carry out corrective actions to improve results and achieve objectives;
- Evaluate the work, efficiency and competences of staff, particularly during annual appraisal interviews and by setting SMART objectives;
- Give appropriate feedback in a timely manner.
- Organise: distribute and coordinate the work:
- Know the role of each person and the evolution of this role and associated objectives. With this information, draw up a coherent schedule of tasks;
- Establish internal communication within the team;
- Ensure that the workload is well-balanced within the team and raise any possible need for additional resources or team adaptation;
- Encourage autonomy, decision-making and involvement through delegation of certain responsibilities.
- Animate: lead and mobilise team members to achieve a common goal:
- Pilot continuous training to motivate team members to improve and develop their skills;
- Federate and develop team spirit and cohesion;
- Work constructively to find win-win solutions during negotiations or conflicts.
- Represent the work of the whole team both internally and externally;
- Provide feedback to management in a correct and appropriate manner;
- Develop constructive communication and working relationships with other managers on cross-cutting issues.
- Supervision of the Investment Cycle
Support the Private Equity team in the execution of various projects including:
- PE Funds
- Select investments in private equity funds that comply with BIO’s strategy and role in terms of financial return, development impact as well as social and environmental standards;
- Ensure adequate organization of on-site evaluation missions;
- Review the detailed analysis reports and support the team in presenting investment recommendations to management and BIO’s Investment Committee;
- Validate the legal documents, in coordination with internal and external resources;
- Ensure adequate supervision in the team of a portfolio of private equity funds in close collaboration with the equity portfolio officers.
- Direct Equity
- Select direct equity investment projects, provide advice on the structuring and negotiations of transactions;
- Act as a sounding board for the investment officers supervising BIO’s direct equity portfolio;
- Closely monitor, in coordination with Private Equity Officers, the investments in terms of performance, governance and shareholders decisions.
- Representation Tasks
The manager also represents the team towards BIO’s stakeholders, Executive Committee and clients. You will participate in meetings and conferences, and will act as figurehead relative to all private equity topics externally and internally.
- High level education in Business Administration, Economics or Finance
- Experience in managing a team with significant seniority and expertise
- Experience in direct private equity
- Direct equity /Corporate finance skills / Analytical skills
- Relevant work experience: at least 10 years in corporate finance, corporate banking or financial analysis in a bank, an investment company or an audit company
- Interest in development subjects and developing countries
- Pro-active, able to take the initiative, entrepreneurial spirit. Result-oriented
- Excellent networking and communication skills (spoken and written)
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills
- Strong team player
- Fluency in Dutch, French and English. Spanish is an asset
- Strong interest in impact investing and developing markets – a first experience in the region would be an asset
- Willingness to travel: ± 15% of time