Junior Legal Counsel
The Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (“BIO”) is a development finance institution controlled by the Belgian government that seeks to support the private sector in developing countries by investing in local enterprises, either directly or indirectly (e.g. through financial institutions or investment funds).
It is looking to expand its legal team with a junior legal counsel, who will be based in Brussels and report to the legal manager. The legal team is a small group of experienced legal counsels that manages the legal aspects of a wide variety of investment projects and continuously seeks to improve the team’s knowledge and skills. They closely cooperate with the investment teams, external advisors and BIO’s partners in view of providing solution-oriented quality legal advice in support of BIO’s mission.
As junior legal counsel you will assist in the legal aspects of investment projects ([subsidies], debt and equity) from inception until exit, in close cooperation with the investment teams and external partners:
- provide legal advice in structuring transactions;- draft, review, and negotiate the legal documentation (term sheets, loan agreements, SPA, waivers and amendments, restructuring agreements, etc.); and
- follow-up legal aspects of projects ‘at risk’ (deal restructurings, legal procedures, etc.)
You will also contribute to the knowledge management and capacity building of the team: assist in the continuous development of the legal department’s information database and the improvement of investment related tools (checklists, tools etc), participate and assist in trainings etc., as the case may be in cooperation with other departments.
On an occasional basis and according to interest, you can assist in other corporate and/or institutional matters or special projects.
- Master degree in law
- At least 3 years relevant work experience, preferably in a corporate and/or finance team of a financial institution, international company or law firm
- Very good written and spoken English, good knowledge of French and working knowledge of Dutch. Knowledge of Spanish is an asset
- Good communication and negotiation skills, team player
- Eager to learn and willing to take responsibility
- Determined to deliver quality, rigorous with eye for detail
- Organized, pro-active and flexible
- Positive, ‘can do’ attitude
- Pragmatic and problem solving, out of the box thinker, not afraid of complex or unfamiliar circumstances
We offer a rich professional experience, with motivated colleagues, an attractive package and a good word-life balance.