Junior Development & Sustainability Internship (4-6 months)
The Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries - BIO is a development finance institution owned by the Belgian government that seeks to support the private sector in developing countries by investing in local enterprises, either directly or indirectly (e.g. through financial institutions or investment funds).
This D&S intern position will be based in the Development and Sustainability Unit, which is responsible for the development effects analysis and Environmental & Social (E&S) risk assessment of BIO's investment projects. The Unit also manages the Business Development Support Fund (BDSF), a facility which provides grants to BIO’s prospective and portfolio companies to finance feasibility studies and technical assistance programmes.
You will contribute to enhance BIO’s development indicators data collection, reporting and monitoring, and analysis of the development effects of BIO’s investments.
Development effects reporting and analysis
- You will contribute to improve the documentation, reporting, and monitoring of development indicators of BIO’s ongoing (and exited) projects, by reviewing projects’ documentation and checking available development data;
- You will work in close cooperation with the Development Team to collect the development indicators documentation, process data, and carry out quality checks;
- You will aggregate development data through advanced Excel functionalities (e.g. query editor). You will clean and format new development reporting templates;
- You will work on development effects analyses and results presentations;
- You will contribute to BIO data gathering for indirect impact modelling – Joint Impact Model https://www.jointimpactmodel.com/ ;
- You will contribute to the update of BIO’s development assessment and monitoring tools;
- You will contribute to the dissemination effort (BIO’s Development & Sustainability report 2023, internal presentations, report to Belgian Ministry for Development Cooperation, Stories of BIO’s development impacts,…) .
Within your role at the Belgian Development Finance Institutions (DFI), you will also have the opportunity to touch upon Development and Sustainability topics related to development finance. Moreover, you will better understand how a DFI works and finances projects, what its mission is, and how it can create real local development impact in developing and emerging economies.
Main skills required
- You have obtained or you’re taking a Master’s degree in International Development or Political Science with a focus on Development policy, in Development Economics, or Business Administration
- You have an interest in development cooperation and private sector development
- You have good reporting and database management skills, and you are interested to contribute to database improvements
- You have a very good command of MS Excel
- You have solid organizational and planning skills
- You are fluent in English, both writing and speaking. It would be an asset if you also have notions of French, Spanish, or Dutch.
- You have good writing skills
- You have good interpersonal skills and you are able to work in teams
Would be an asset
- Knowledge of SDG framework
- Knowledge of DFIs’ activities and objectives
- Previous experience within an impact investing institution, company, or in development cooperation
- Knowledge of development M&E methodologies and tools
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel (Query editor, Visual Basic)
- Previous experience with Excel-based tool development or database management
You must be enrolled as a student to be eligible to apply.
We offer a rich professional experience, with motivated colleagues, an attractive package, and a good work-life balance.