Investment Officer - Financial Institutions
- Fluency in English and French is a must, Spanish and/or Portuguese is an asset
As an Investment Officer, you will develop and manage a portfolio of investments (equity and loans) in developing countries (Africa, Asia, Latin America) in financial institutions in line with the Company strategy.
Your responsibilities & tasks
- Establish and manage a base of clients, through a deep understanding of the target countries, relationship building and active prospection;
- Identify and evaluate investment opportunities that are in line with the Company’s strategy, using economic, financial, social and environmental parameters;
- Conduct on-site evaluation missions;
- Prepare detailed evaluation reports and present investment recommendations to management and BIO Investment Committee;
- Define and negotiate the terms of investment,;
- Organize the preparation of legal documents, in coordination with internal and external resources;
- Supervise a portfolio of investments in the region – identify any possible problems and come up with solutions;
- Promote and reinforce the role of BIO in the region, constantly improving relationships with local enterprises and potential partners.
- High level education in Business Administration, Economics or Finance
- Between 3 and 6 years relevant work experience in corporate finance or corporate banking, in a bank, an investment company or an audit company
- Analytical mind, organized, precise and meticulous
- Ability to take initiatives, learn quickly and strive for results
- Excellent networking, negotiating and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong team player
- Strong interest for impact investing and developing markets – a first experience in the region would be an asset
- Willingness to travel: ± 15% of time
- An exciting job in a dynamic company
- Attractive salary with extra-legal benefits
- A work-life balance
- An inspiring environment and great colleagues
- We offer you the opportunity to work in the development sector, being a member of a small team and taking on real responsibilities as from day one.
The mission of the Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (BIO) is to support private sector in developing and/or emerging countries, to enable them to gain access to growth and sustainable development.
BIO invests directly in private sector projects and as such makes a structural contribution to the socio-economic growth of those host countries. Its mandate requires strict criteria in terms of geographical targets, financing tools and, above all, impact on development.
In developing countries, the informal economy is proof of great dynamism; however access to long-term finance and capital, without which companies cannot grow, is limited or impossible for a large chunk of the population. In fact, the banking system is often unsuited to the needs of small entrepreneurs and does not allow the emergence of income-generating activities.
BIO uses a series of financial instruments designed to expand already existing organizations or to help companies to set up in business and which can be adapted according to requirements and the local situation (equity, long- term loans, guarantees or local currency).
Today BIO concentrates its operations directly and indirectly in 52 countries worldwide.