Portfolio and Monitoring Officer
The Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (“BIO”) is a development finance institution controlled by the Belgian government that seeks to support the private sector in developing countries by investing in local enterprises, either directly or indirectly (e.g. through financial institutions or investment funds).
As an investment officer in the portfolio and monitoring team, you aim at monitoring BIO’s loan investment activity from first disbursement to final reimbursement. With the other officers, you are grouped in the following 4 specific pools: Africa, Asia, Latin America and Infrastructure. The former are cross-sectoral and geographically focused pools; the latter is a cross-geographical and sector focused pool.
The current job opening is for a position that will monitor infrastructure projects (mostly project finance - energy) worldwide.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Manage part of BIO’s loan investment portfolio with a focus on the financial interests of BIO and its development mission
- As the primary contact person, closely manage and keep a good client relationship, and monitor the financial situation, the environment and the performance of the projects. This includes:
- Analyse and treat waivers; in close cooperation with BIO’s internal teams (e.g. E&S, Legal, Finance), other lenders, advisors etc.
- Regularly monitor and update on the status and the evolution of the projects (incl. financial & technical performance, E&S aspects, KYC checks etc.)
- Regularly monitor and update on projects’ credit risk ratings
- Pro-actively identify a deterioration of risks as the case may be, that would trigger a transfer to the Watchlist or eventually to the Special Operations unit (SO)
- Identify the clients’ needs, including technical assistance and commercial opportunities for further investments in our current portfolio, and on a case-by-case basis handle the approval process for such an investment (negotiation with clients, due diligence mission, preparation of investment analysis and participation in investment committee)
- Prepare monitoring reports on selected investments, supported by site-visits; at least twice a year
- Ensure the respect of legal agreements by BIO’s clients from an administrative and financial point of view; ensure compliance with covenants
- Ensure that the reporting obligations (both financial and developmental) are met by the portfolio companies
- Prepare disbursements to client companies
- Participate in deal teams during the approval phase of a new project, and maintain the deal team (if necessary) after the project is transferred to Portfolio
- Opportunity to participate in business development (analysis and approval of new projects) as the case may be (in close relationship with FI, Enterprise or Infra units)
- Monitor country risk
- Share experience, knowledge and lessons learnt with other units (within and outside of the Investment Department)
- Represent BIO and participate in professional seminars, fairs, conferences in line with the content of BIO’s portfolio monitoring unit mission
- Represent BIO towards other Belgian development actors (Embassies, Enabel, DGD,...)
- Maintain several common tools
- Perform any other tasks required by the Portfolio Monitoring unit’s mission
- Master in Business Administration/Finance or related field
- At least 5 years’ post-graduation relevant work experience in the field of Project Finance, ideally as Corporate banker/ auditor/credit analyst or any other similar function.
- Language skills: written and spoken Dutch French / English
- Good knowledge of MS Office (in particular of Excel)
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills, precise & meticulous
- Ability to take the initiative, learn quickly and strive for results
- Interested in emerging and developing markets
- Willingness to travel, meet and discuss with clients
- Represent BIO at public events
- Good communication skills, Team player
We offer a rich professional experience, with motivated colleagues, an attractive package and a good word-life balance.
At 5 minutes from the Brussels Central train station and right next to a metro station, we’re only 40 minutes away from large cities like Antwerp or Ghent.