Investment Officer Generalist
The Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (“BIO”) is a development finance institution controlled by the Belgian government that seeks to support the private sector in developing countries by investing in local enterprises, either directly or indirectly (e.g. through financial institutions or investment funds).
As an Investment Officer, you will assess, structure and negotiate debt and equity investments in financial institutions, corporates and infrastructure in developing countries (Africa, Asia, Latin America) in line with the Company strategy. You will also help monitor investments in portfolio.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Identify and evaluate investment opportunities that are in line with the Company’s strategy, using economic, financial, social and environmental parameters.
- Conduct on-site evaluation missions.
- Prepare detailed evaluation reports and present investment recommendations to management and BIO Investment Committee.
- Define and negotiate the terms of investment.
- Organise the preparation of legal documents, in coordination with internal and external resources.
- Supervise a portfolio of investments in the region – identify any possible problems and come up with solutions.
- Promote and reinforce the role of BIO in the region, constantly improving relationships with local enterprises and potential partners.
- Establish and manage a base of clients, through a deep understanding of the target countries, relationship building and active prospection.
- High level education in Business Administration, Economics or Finance
- Between 3 and 5 years’ relevant work experience in corporate finance or corporate banking, credit analysis in a bank, an investment company or an audit company
- Analytical and critical mind, organised, precise and autonomous
- Ability to take the initiative, learn quickly and strive for results
- Excellent networking, negotiating and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong team player
- Fluency in English and French is a must, Spanish is an asset
- Strong interest in impact investing and developing markets – a first experience in the region would be an asset
- Willingness to travel: ± 15% of time
We offer a rich professional experience, with motivated colleagues, an attractive package and a good word-life balance.