Investment Analyst in Nairobi
The Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (BIO) is a Development Finance Institution (DFI) established in 2001 in the framework of the Belgian Development Cooperation to support private sector growth in developing and emerging countries.
BIO finances the financial sector, enterprises and private infrastructure projects.
In order to be closer to its partner, BIO opened a local office in Nairobi in 2019. In order to support the development of the local office and of the business in the African Eastern region, BIO is currently looking for an Investment Analyst -Nairobi Office.
As an Investment Analyst East Africa, you will assess, structure and negotiate debt and equity investments in mainly in corporates and financial institutions and on ad-hoc basis infrastructure in the East African region in line with the Company strategy.
We offer you the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in the development finance sector, by learning on the job, taking on real responsibilities as from day one.
Your tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Develop an address book and conducting prospecting efforts in the sub-region (mainly in Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda) with relevant stakeholders for BIO in each of its priority areas of activity (financial inclusion, agribusiness, basic services to the population, fight against climate change, access to energy);
- Identify relevant funding proposals for BIO and, together with the Regional Manager assess the merits and risk profile of investment projects, and bring it from selection to first step of IC approval.
- On ad-hoc basis
- Participate in drafting the Screening Committee
- Prepare and participate to on-site Due Diligence;
- Contribute to the evaluation of the project and the preparation of the final approval (in support of the teams in Brussels responsible for the analysis of the relevant project)
- Support the supervisory work on BIO’s portfolio and intervening on local issues
- Other tasks
- Represent BIO at local events (seminars), at Belgian delegations and at the embassy;
- Provide headquarter teams with economic, developmental and sectoral information
- Conducting ad hoc studies on the sub-regional business environment (sectoral, country, ...);
- Contribute to all administrative tasks of BIO's representative office in Kenya (logistics, archive management, reporting, etc.).
- Engage with other actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation in the region and seek where possible opportunities for synergies and cooperation;
- Engage a constructive dialogue with the local teams of other impact investors in order to collaborate on investments
- Master in Business Administration /Finance or related fields
- 3 to 5 years post-graduation relevant work experience, ideally as Corporate Banker or Research Analyst or any other similar functions in an investment or audit company ;
- First experience in impact investing : DFI, impact fund, PE is an asset
- Permanently authorized to work in Kenya
- Deep local and regional market knowledge
- Language skills: written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Good knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel);
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, precise and detail-oriented;
- Interested in emerging and frontier markets; strong interest for impact investing and developing markets
- Ability to take initiative, learn quickly and strive for results;
- Mastering financial modelling skills
- Willingness to travel abroad (up to 30%), meet and discuss with clients;
- Good communication skills, team player.
We offer an experienced position with motivated colleagues and the following conditions:
- - Full time
- - Based in Nairobi, Kenya
- - CDD/CDI according to profile, local contract
- - Competitive salary, according to profile
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.