Environmental and Social Officer
As Environmental and Social Officer, you play a key role in:
• assessing clients in private equity funds and financial institutions E&S capacity and management system to deal with E&S risk of their investees;
• assessing environmental, social and human rights impacts and risks of BIO’s direct and indirect investments against the applicable standards (IFC Environmental and Social Performance Standards and EDFI Standards for Financial Institutions and Private Equity Funds). Proven experience in developing Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) that are commensurate to the risks, building from client systems and capacities;
• reviewing contracts and legal documentation in general to ensure E&S requirements and due diligence recommendations are adequately reflected therein;
• monitoring clients against their E&S commitments as agreed during evaluation and defined in the investment’s agreements;
• support clients in developing their E&S management systems, methodologies, tools and contribute through knowledge transfer and training;
• participate to transversal programs and projects within your team, unit and company as well as with other European Development Finance Institutions (EDFI) in the field of E&S risks and impacts management; and
• represent BIO at external meetings, industry events and fora on environmental, social and human rights.
The position requires from time to time travelling for site visits and meetings with clients.
Besides the above, the requisites for this role are:
• Master or equivalent in environmental or social science, international development.
• 3 to 5 years of professional experience in environmental and social assessments related to the private sector business activities: e.g. EHS site audits, environmental and social assessments of private companies and/or experience with funds or financial institutions ESMS assessment in developing/emerging countries.
• Have a demonstrated knowledge of and interest in BIO’s mission, private sector development and impact investing.
• Experience in working abroad in developing countries is an asset.
• Verbal and written fluency in English. French and Spanish are strong assets.
• Autonomous and accountable for progress and challenges;
• Team-player and collaborative – you can share expertise and work with your E&S and Sustainability unit colleagues as well as with investment, legal & portfolio departments;
• Interpersonal and communication skills – you communicate ideas clearly to clients and colleagues and you can be persuasive.
You will be part of a young and dynamic team of six people. The company offers flexible working arrangements and work-life balance. We are a growing, diverse company and we speak French, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Polish & others.
This function is based in the Development and Sustainability (D&S) Unit, which is responsible for the analysis and monitoring of the development effects and the Environmental & Social (E&S) aspects of BIO's investment projects. The Unit also manages the Business Development Support Fund (BDSF), a facility which provides grants to BIO’s prospective/portfolio companies to finance feasibility studies and technical assistance programmes.
Currently, BIO has two E&S experts, each specialized in direct (infrastructures and enterprises) and indirect investments (funds and financial institutions) respectively, reporting to the D&S Unit Manager. We are looking for a third E&S expert to support mainly the assessment and monitoring of BIO’s prospective and portfolio projects. The new team member will focus on Financial institutions and Private Equity Funds projects, with the opportunity to work on direct enterprise and infrastructure deals on a case-by-case basis, depending on workload, priorities and available resources.